Wednesday, July 14, 2010

o&g appointment

I had my O&G appointment yesterday at Klinik Pakar Obstetrik & Ginekologi, Hospital Ampang. This appoinment is basically to reconfirm the absence of the fetal heart activity as mentioned by previous doc in my earlier entry. As usual, I was accompanied by my beloved hubby.

The doc perform scanning procedure, and it was confirmed that there is no heartbeat. Later, I consult the doctor on what should be done. The doc said that normally, it is better to let the fetus come out by itself. But I can also opt for D&C. Before performing the D&C, at least two different doctor must verify that the fetus is no longer alive. Thus, I have my second scan on the same day by another doctor. And again, he confirmed that the fetus have no heartbeat. I had further discussion with the doctor regarding the D&C and later set the date for the procedure. I had to admit into ward on 18th July 2010. The procedure will be done on the next day.

I received a lot of advices, supports and wishes from friends and family. I felt so overwhelmed by their kind attention. Dear friends and family, thanks for your support and warm wishes. Really appreciate it.


D&C....what does it mean??

I had never come across the word D&C before this. But since i had to undergo the procedure, I ask a few friends that have been through the same situation, and also search in the web regarding D&C.

D&C stands for DILATION & CURETTAGE. It is usually performed when a pregnant women is known to have suffered a miscarriage, blighted ovum or missed abortion. Missed abortion means the baby died inside the womb but miscarriage does not occur. In my case, it is missed abortion since I did not had any bleeding or severe abdominal pain.

Steps For Dilation And Curettage
  • D&C is an outpatient surgery using general anesthesia where the patient are asleep during the procedure.
  • The doctor completely inspects the pelvic reproductive organs for any abnormal changes.
  • Next, a speculum is inserted into the vagina to open the walls so the doctor can see the cervix.
  • A clamp-like instrument holds the cervix in place.
  • The cervix is dialated with a series of tapered rods of increasing widths which are inserted into the cervical opening (the OS).
  • A curette is passed through the uterus and used to scrape the uterine walls. This loosens pieces of the lining which are removed and sent to a lab for microscopic examination. Another method of obtaining a sample of the uterine lining is by applying suction through a narrow tube.

Risks??
 
The risks of the D&C include infection, perforation of the uterus and pain. Most women will have cramping or spotting for at least a few days after the surgery. Your doctor will tell you what over the counter products to take or prescribe your pain medication if appropriate. You normally will return to your normal menstrual cycles within 6-10 weeks.


After D&C procedure

You may have some discomfort from general anesthesia which can include nausea, vomiting, and a sore throat that can last a few days. Many women will notice mild cramping for a few days following D&C, as well as spotting or slight bleeding for up to a week. Your next period may be early or late.

You will need a friend or family member to accompany you home a few hours after your D&C. The affects of anesthesia wear off at different rates for each individual; however you should be able to drive and return to normal activities within a few days.


I am praying for everything to be fine. Hoping for the procedure to be conducted properly. I've read a few comments regarding the procedure. Some gives good judgement and recommendation. But some do give negative comments. I am praying for Allah to protect me from any harm..Amin..

footnote: Info obtained from http://miscarriage.about.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment



Copyright to ily's
Designed by UMIESUEstudio 2015